Sunday, January 02, 2005

One day in

So, I've had a chance to start my new year off right. And, while it didn't go exactly according to plan, I can't say that I was too disappointed with the day's progress. It was a Saturday, so that threw a monkey wrench in the plan right off. Then, of course, because it was New Year's Day, we didn't get up until after 10:00, so that makes it pretty hard to keep to a schedule.

I got to have a good devotional time, and I feel like I really touched heaven (or vice-versa) during my prayer time. It was good to sit down and do some Scripture memory as well. I am trying to read through the Bible this year. I had some software issues yesterday that took quite a while to correct, but I think I finally have the big issues resolved.

I told Tiff I wanted to have my parents over for dinner today, so we had a little housecleaning to do. It's still probably not up to their standards, but it's really about hospitality not impressing anyone. I helped do up the dishes, mop the kitchen and clean up some of the clutter.

I did get to spend some time with Elijah, reading poetry and doing tummy time. But he got so fussy, that I had to just pick him up and walk around. I don't think he was feeling well. He's sitting in my lap now, and I'm not sure he's crazy about it.

I knew we had some shopping to do yesterday, so I figured my schedule would be a little off anyhow. I didn't really anticipate the scope of the trip, though. I thought we were making a few returns, getting different sizes, etc. It turned out that the bulk of the trip was Tiffany trying on shoes. I probably should have anticipated that and brought something to read, but I didn't. Both Elijah and I got pretty worn out.

I spent a good chunk of the evening, sorting out our financial situation. I have abandoned the envelope system and am going to track things electronically again. This means we probably won't have a budget for a while, but I think/hope we can keep spending under control.

I don't think I let my frustration get the best of me. For the most part, I didn't let my eyes or mind wander where they shouldn't. I spent time with God and my family. And I didn't spend time with the TV or video games. All in all, not a bad record for the first day. Let's go for two in a row!

No comments: