Thursday, January 06, 2005

Bargaining with God

Well, the past few days have been interesting. A couple of snow days and a little sickness have conspired to, more or less, knock me off of my well-laid plans. In fact, I have gotten back into the habit of watching movies and doing life during the commercials. I should have known that a schedule allowing so little recreational time was not going to work. Ah, well! Perhaps I will still get more done than I was doing last year, since I have my "commercial" activity planned a little better.

I was reading this morning the story of Abraham bargaining with God over the fate of Sodom and Gomorrah. An interesting story, that! But what am I to draw from it? I wonder about Abraham's relationship with God. Granted, we don't have a lot of details, but I suppose I have always assumed that Abraham's understanding of God was very primitive, strongly influenced by the Chaldean worship with which he grew up. And yet, his faith in God was strong enough to inspire him to pack up and move across the world; it was strong enough to convince him to sacrifice his son.

No comments: