Wednesday, July 18, 2007

My body is attacking my thyroid gland!

I got a phone call this morning from Lill Family Medicine, letting me know that the second lab results confirmed the first, i.e., my TSH levels are too low, and that Dr. Lill was prescribing Synthroid. I'm a little disappointed that the doctor didn't see me face-to-face to tell me what was wrong with me and what the treatment was going to be. As far as I can tell from the medication website, I have hypothyroidism, which means that my autoimmune system has attacked my thyroid, keeping it from producing enough thyroxine. So, I have to take a pill every day for the rest of my life and get my TSH levels tested every 6 to 12 months. I'm not sure why I need to do this, since I don't have any symptoms of the disorder, except possibly a raspy voice. I guess my grandfather and great-grandfather also had hypothyroidism and it kept them from being able to lose weight, so maybe this will be a magic diet pill for me and my gut will disappear.

On a brighter note, I made butterscotch strawberries today for dessert. They were delightful! Tiff was off to the eye doctor, so Elijah and I walked to the grocery store (somewhat against his will) to get our supplies.

1 comment:

d-wain said...

I'm sorry to hear about the diagnosis, but I'm glad there's a treatment.